Call or write your State Senators and Assembly Members and tell them to OPPOSE AB398 a backroom deal which would make cap and trade worse, and SUPPORT a real upgrade of cap and trade like Senate Bill 775 or one that meets the principles below.
Hello my name is _______________ and I live in ______________.
I support good carbon pricing in California.
I strongly urge you to OPPOSE AB398, a backroom deal which would make our air quality worse and make it harder to meet our climate goals.
- AB398 provides billions of dollars in free allowances and tax breaks to polluting industries.
- AB398 will be ineffective at reducing emissions and will mean we fail to meet our climate goals.
- AB398 does nothing to support low- and middle-income families.
- AB398 prevents local air districts from regulating local polluters.
Vote NO on AB398.
Instead, please SUPPORT a real upgrade to cap and trade that will be equitable and effective. We need carbon pricing in California that reduces emissions while supporting our families, our communities, and our economy.
- A high price collar with a floor of $60 and a ceiling of $120/ton of CO2 by 2030
- An end to offsets that allow local pollution to continue
- An end to free pollution allowances
- A climate dividend that returns revenue to every California resident
- To deal with surplus allowances from the current program so they don’t undermine the post-2020 program
- Improved Air Quality and the continued ability to regulate locally for healthy air and a healthy climate.
Thank you for taking action to support equitable, efficient, and effective carbon pricing in California!